Justice catches up with teen tearaway who admitted serious crimes in Wigan
A tearaway schoolboy who went on the run after admitting a string of serious crimes has finally been brought to justice.
The 14-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was just 12 when he embarked on his crime spree, including breaking into a college building, wielding a knife at a train station, stealing a car and injuring someone while behind the wheel.
The fugitive teenager was due to appear at Wigan Youth Court last December to answer the charges dating back to October 2018, but he did not turn up and the court heard issued a warrant for his arrest.
But after months of evading the law, the youngster was finally punished for his crimes at Wigan Youth Court earlier this month.
He was awaiting sentence for offences including possession of a blade, aggravated vehicle-taking, failing to stop after a road accident, and driving while disqualified.
He had pleaded guilty to all counts at a hearing in December, but a warrant had to be issued for his arrest after he failed to show up for his sentencing.
In a previous hearing earlier this year, a member of the Youth Offending Team told the bench that they had not heard from the boy or his family since early December 2019.
The first charge related to an incident in October 2018, when he broke into the Wigan and Leigh College building in Parson’s Walk, with an intent to steal.
On November 21 2019, the boy was caught in possession of a Stanley knife at Wigan Wallgate railway station.
On the same day, he breached a previously imposed criminal behaviour order, by being in the company of another person he was prohibited from seeing.
He also admitted that on November 27, he stole a Peugeot Partner van and that, while driving it in Scot Lane caused an accident that left a woman injured. He failed to stop at the scene following the accident.
That same day, the teenaged driver also caused damage to a lamppost and another vehicle, a Ford Focus, in Lancaster Road.
The court also heard of previous crimes such as breaking into a house in Winstanley, causing £2,380 of damage to shop windows and causing harassment and distress to several people, for which he had already been convicted and therefore received no separate penalty.
The court imposed a 91-day youth rehabilitation order, during which the boy must participate in activities with the Youth Justice Targetted Offending Team.
He was also given a 12-week curfew, preventing him from leaving his house from 7pm-7am, and he must also adhere to a supervision requirement for the next 18 months.
A message from the Editorial Director, Gillian Parkinson:
Thank you for reading this story on our website.
But I also have an urgent plea to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide high quality local news on this free-to-read site and in print, please purchase a copy of our newspaper as well.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on our town centres and many of our valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you buying a copy when you pop out for your essential shop or subscribing for delivery.
Our journalists are highly trained by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards anywhere in the world. Our content is universally trusted - as all independent research proves.
As Baroness Barran said in a House of Lords debate this week on the importance of journalists: "Not only are they a trusted source of facts, but they will have a role to play in rallying communities and getting the message across about how we can keep ourselves and our families safe, and protect our NHS. Undoubtedly, they have a critical role."
But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis. In return we will continue to forensically cover the local news - not only the impact of the virus but all the positive and uplifting news happening in these dark days.
We thank all our readers and advertisers for their understanding and support - and we wish YOU all the best in the coming weeks. Keep safe, and follow the Government advice. Thank you.
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE:
You can subscribe for delivery by contacting us at [email protected] or calling us on 0330 4033004 for details of a participating newsagent near you.