Murder suspect is told he is free man

The only person to be arrested on suspicion of murdering a Wigan borough mum has walked free.

Wednesday, 2nd September 2020, 8:10 am
Debbie Twist

The 39-year-old man, who has not been named, had been arrested by police probing the violent death of Debbie Twist at a house in Manchester Road, Leigh, on March 17 last year.

He was on bail for many months but those investigating the death have told him that no further action will be taken against him.

However, this does not mean that the case is closed and the matter has not been reported to the coroner as a non-suspicious death.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police seal off the alleyway at the back of the home where Debbie Twist was fatally injured

But police say that at present they are not making any fresh appeals.

It was shortly before 8pm on St Patrick’s Day 2019 that police were called by the ambulance service to reports that a woman had been stabbed at the property.

She was pronounced dead at the scene and a 25-year-old man was also taken to hospital for treatment to arm injuries although he was later released.

Police eventually revealed the victim to be 47-year-old Ms Twist, a mother of three and grandmother of three.

The 39-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder soon afterwards and bailed two days later pending further inquiries. Bail was then extended on several occasions as investigations continued.

Paying tribute to Ms Twist at the time, her children Beth, Jordan and Mark said: “Debbie wasn’t just a mum. She was our best friend and a friend to many.

“She was taken from us too soon and under tragic circumstances.

“She will be missed by everyone.”

An inquest was opened into Ms Twist’s death at Bolton Coroner’s Court in April last year but was then adjourned pending the outcome of criminal investigations.