Wigan man amongst two security officers sentenced following assault

John Moncrieff, 49, of Silverdale Road, Kitt Green, along with a colleague, broke a man's leg as they removed him from Liverpool Central Station

Friday, 30th April 2021, 2:34 pm

A Wigan man, who was amongst two security officers who broke a man's leg as they removed him from a railway station, has been sentenced.

John Moncrieff, 49, of Silverdale Road, Kitt Green, and John Smitton, 39, of Elderdale Road, Liverpool, have been punished after pleading guilty to affray.

The court heard how on September 6, 2018, the victim had been refused travel by Merseyrail staff at Liverpool Central Station in accordance with their Travel Safe Policy as they believed he was too intoxicated.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Liverpool Central Station

The victim denied he was drunk and still wanted to use the train.

Smitton and Moncrieff stepped in and grabbed hold of each of the victim’s arms to remove him from the station.

As they released him into the mall area the then 48-year-old victim repeatedly asked why he was being removed and under what power.

In response to his questions the two turned him around and pushed him face first into the wall, with his face hitting the corner of the wall. He turned around to face the pair who then pinned him to the ground with such force that the victim repeatedly cried out in pain and begged for them to let go.

The victim suffered two breaks to his leg and concussion from the assault. He was immediately rushed to hospital by ambulance.

He has since had seven separate operations on his leg and doctors believe the injury could be life altering.

Detective constable Scott Mccabe, of British Transport Police who investigated the incident, said: “This was a clear instance of security officers using unnecessary force to remove someone from the railway.

“The victim continues to struggle with health issues caused by the assault and we are pleased that the matter has now been concluded.”

Both employees of Carlisle Security Services, each received a 12 month sentence suspended for 18 months and were ordered to complete 240 hours unpaid work.

They are also subject to a four month electronic curfew.

A third security officer was found not guilty at a trial on August 26 last year.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers ...