Elderly man safe after Wigan house fire

A man in his 90s had a lucky escape when smoke alarms alerted him to a blaze in the early hours.

Saturday, 26th May 2018, 1:58 pm
Updated Saturday, 26th May 2018, 2:16 pm
Firefighters were called at 12.30am

A pan of food caught fire on the gas cooker at the house on Forge Street, Ince, at around 12.30am on Saturday.

Other news: More NHS strikes as WWL boss hits backThe 93-year-old man was alerted by smoke alarms and a neighbour, who also heard the noise, led him to safety.

The fire was out when firefighters arrived and they used a fan to clear smoke from the property.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters on Forge Street

The pensioner was given a precautionary check by paramedics.

A fire service spokesman said: "Working smoke alarms may have saved his life at that time of night.

"I would always recommend people have working smoke alarms in their property."