Family's anguish after damage to Braiden's memorial

A permanent memorial could be erected to pay tribute to a seven-year-old boy who died following a brave battle with cancer.

Braiden Prescott captured people’s hearts as he battled the disease three times during his short life and hundreds turned out to say goodbye at his funeral in September.

His family created a memorial for Braiden at a tree at Firs Park in Leigh, where teddies, toys and a photograph were left.

But the tributes were ripped from the tree.

Braiden’s family, who live in Ince, went to the tree the next day to decorate it again.


Hide Ad

But just two days later, everything had been removed again and items had been put in bins at the park.

His mum Steph plans to put more tributes on the tree to restore it as a memorial for her son.

Wigan Council has now offered to work with the schoolboy’s family to create a permanent tribute in his honour.

A council spokesman said: “Our sympathies are with the family and we would be happy to work with them to arrange a more permanent form of memorial for Braiden-Lee which could reduce the risk of any vandalism.


Hide Ad

“We are aware of the issues in the park and our anti-social behaviour team has been involved, along with other partners, to investigate and see what can be done to tackle it in the area.

“Residents experiencing anti-social behaviour can report incidents to Greater Manchester Police on 101 or to the council by searching ASB on the Wigan Council website.”

Braiden was diagnosed with neuroblastoma when he was just two years old.

A massive fund-raising campaign was launched to send him to the USA for specialist proton beam treatment.


Hide Ad

Sadly this failed, but following aggressive chemotherapy at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital he was given the all-clear in September 2013.

But after Braiden complained of pains in his legs and arms in 2015, tests were carried out and his family was told the cancer had returned.

Hundreds of friends, relatives and well-wishers joined him at a massive party to celebrate his seventh birthday just a month before he died.

His family announced his passing on Facebook, posting: “My baby boy left us to be with the angels at 4.55am this morning.


Hide Ad

“We are just devastated but we know he’s in a better place.”