Firefighters issue fire pit warning after Wigan blaze
Two crews from Wigan attended the fire in Wynard Avenue in Whelley last night (April 10)
Firefighters have issued a safety plea to people using fire pits to never leave them unattended after a blaze in Wigan
Two pumps from Wigan attended the blaze in Wynard Avenue in Whelley which saw embers from a fire pit at a house spread to a neighbour's property.
Crews were called to the fire, which had spread to a plastic children's play house, storage unit, fence and outbuilding at the neighbour's house, at about 11pm.
The firefighters equipped with a breathing apparatus used a hose reel and cutting equipment to put out the fire in around an hour.
But in a stark warning of how serious this incident could have been firefighter David Fagan warned residents about the dangers of fire pits.
He said: "Everyone had evacuated from both properties by the time we arrived and the fire was external.
"But people need to make sure that they extinguish fire pits when finished and never leave them unattended."
Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers ...