Heart transplant Wigan dad is awake

A brave Wigan dad who has been unconscious for two weeks following a heart transplant, is now awake in his hospital bed.

Thursday, 8th March 2018, 3:46 pm
Updated Friday, 9th March 2018, 9:15 am
Dave Hughes with son George and partner Louise Sedgwick

Dave Hughes, 32, has battled against numerous complications since he was taken in for the 12-hour operation on Friday, February 23.

The father-of-one from Whelley has faced several hurdles since leaving theatre, suffering from major blood loss and undergoing more life-saving procedures to help him fight infection.

But now his partner and mum to his 18-month-old son George, Louise Sedgwick, has revealed the incredible news that Dave is awake and responding to communication.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She said: "Dave gave us a scare again as the nurses tried to wake him up and he wouldn’t move. They thought he had brain damage but then he has gone on to surprise us once again and this morning he is sat up in bed watching tv.”

The 24-year-old has kept a hospital vigil since Dave received the life-changing call.

Before they were reunited yesterday morning, she said: “I’ve honestly got butterflies I’m that excited and nervous to see him.”

The couple have remained positive despite Dave being told five years ago that he would only have five years to live without a new heart.

They have campaigned long and hard to raise the awareness of organ donation so other families do not have to experience the same agony they have.

Louise said:“Dave is doing so well, he has still got his ventilation tube down as he is so weak - they just want to help with his breathing for an extra day or two.

“But he was responding to me when I spoke. I said ‘do you want me to sing to you?’ He frowned and was shaking his head. When I said ‘I love you’ he is winking back twice. I can’t believe how brave he has been.”

To register as a donor visit www.organdonation.nhs.uk