Man finds nasty surprise in Lidl dessert
An angry supermarket customer claims he chipped his tooth when he bit into a metal object in his dessert.
Alex Cain was horrified when he discovered the item and said he was ill afterwards.
The 25-year-old bought toffee pecan roulade and caramel ice cream from Lidl in Pemberton at lunchtime on Thursday.
He served them together later that day but says he only found the object halfway through his meal, when he bit into it.
Mr Cain, who lives in Aspull, said: “It was dead hard and really hurt.
“I thought it might have been a bit of chocolate that was hard so I bit again, but I couldn’t. I spat it out and it was there.
“It was awful. I still feel sick thinking about it.”
Mr Cain described the object as circular, slightly smaller than a 5p coin and made of metal.
He said it had no markings but was rusty on one side.
Mr Cain claims that biting into the item left him with a chipped tooth and he was sick afterwards.
He contacted Lidl by telephone and via social media website Twitter to complain about the object he had discovered.
Supermarket bosses have pledged to investigate what happened and have asked him to send the item to them in the post.
Mr Cain said: “I want some compensation because of it. I didn’t expect to have a chipped tooth from eating food.”
Mr Cain said he used to buy the roulade from another supermarket, but they stopped selling it.
So when he spotted it for sale in Lidl, on Chatsworth Street, he decided to buy both the roulade and ice cream.
He does not know whether the item was in the ice cream or the roulade, as he served them together.
But he has now vowed not to shop at the supermarket in future.
Mr Cain, who works as a team leader, said : “I’m never going to buy anything from Lidl again.
“I have to pay now to go to the dentist to hopefully see what they can do with the tooth.”
A spokesman for Lidl said: “We were very sorry to hear that this particular product did not meet the high standards that both we and our customers expect.
“We take matters such as these extremely seriously, and it has been escalated to our quality assurance team who will be carrying out a full investigation.”