Manslaughter trial agony goes on for Marsh family

MAUREEN Marsh’s heartbroken son says his family are prepared to “wait for as long as it takes” after a jury failed to deliver a verdict following a high-profile manslaughter trial.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 21st July 2010, 2:18 pm

Mother-of-three Mrs Marsh, 56, (pictured above right) suffered an aneurysm which ruptured within moments of an alleged confrontation with self-confessed shoplifter Steven Brighouse, a Liverpool Crown Court trial was told.

But a jury of eight men and four women was discharged by Judge John Roberts last Wednesday lunchtime (July 14) after they failed to reach a verdict after almost three days of deliberations.

A retrial of Brighouse, 34, who denies causing the checkout supervisor’s death, is now set to take place later this year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Mrs Marsh’s son Lee, 27, told the St Helens Reporter how he and his family had endured “eight long days” while observing the trial from the court’s public gallery.

He said: “It’s frustrating not to have a verdict but we will wait for as long as it takes. It was eight long days and listening to some of the evidence really knocked us sideways.

“It’s been awful for the family but we’ve all been supporting each other. It was just so draining. But we’re determined to fight for justice for mum no matter how long it takes – whether it’s weeks, months or even a year. None of us will get closure until this process comes to an end.”

Mrs Marsh, a grandmother-of-four, was at work at the Morrisons Supermarket in Baxters Lane, Sutton, on April 18 last year when the alleged confrontation occurred.

Prosecutor Richard Pratt QC told the court that she suffered haemorrhaging and swelling on her brain after trying to stop the defendant from stealing razor blades.

Brighouse, of Gloucester Street, Parr, admitted the theft but denies manslaughter and says he never assaulted Mrs Marsh.

Tragically, Mrs Marsh died the following day after collapsing at her Seath Avenue home.

Lee added: “We’re all dreading going through it again and I felt like I had nothing left in me by the end of the trial. I’ve already told my dad I don’t think I’ll be able to go to the retrial. Maybe I’ll just go for the verdict.”

After prosecutors signalled their intention to seek a retrial, Brighouse was remanded in custody prior to a preliminary hearing on July 28.

The retrial is expected to take place at the end of October.