Marquee licence plans are rejected
A restaurant boss has failed in his bid to hold a series of events in a marquee outside his premises.
Michael Madani applied for temporary event notices (TENs) for a marquee at the rear of The Olive Garden, on Preston Road, Standish.
But yesterday Wigan Council’s licensing sub-committee decided not to grant permission for them to go ahead.
It followed complaints about noise from events being held in the marquee. And it means that several events, including a wedding due to be held on Saturday and a family fun day next month, can no longer take place.
Last week, we reported how bride-to-be Ayshea Plumb was left devastated after being told about the plight of her planned venue, The Olive Garden, just days before her big day. She was putting the last-minute touches to her wedding preparations when she received the shock news.
Mr Madani has said he was “absolutely heartbroken” but did not plan to appeal the council decision.
The committee heard that Mr Madani had applied for six TENs between June 10 and August 27, which would allow him to sell alcohol and provide music in the marquee. But an objection was made by the local authority after complaints about noise. The application for June 10 and 11 was considered to be a “late TEN” and when the objection was made, the event could not go ahead.
One of the other TEN applications was withdrawn during yesterday’s meeting at Wigan Town Hall as Mr Madani said the event had been cancelled.
The committee heard that complaints had been made about the noise levels. Council officers went to monitor the noise and on that occasion it was not a problem, but complaints resumed after further events.
Mr Madani said measures had been put in place to manage the noise, including a sound ceiling, a smoking shelter and doormen. Neighbour Rebecca Shepherd said the noise was not an issue for her. She said: “I’m the closest neighbour and if anyone would have a problem it would be me.”
Mr Madani was asked why the TEN applications had not been submitted earlier and said he was waiting to receive the payment for the event.
He said: “I had done the same process for over a year. I don’t know the ins and outs of licensing. In January, February, March, April and May I applied and I received.”
The committee also heard that retrospective planning permission for the marquee had been refused, along with an appeal, and an enforcement notice had been issued requiring the removal of the marquee.
After considering the decision for 30 minutes, committee chairman Coun Paul Prescott said four counter notices would be issued - meaning the events could not go ahead.
Afterwards, Mr Madani said: “I have tried to expand my business and I have been squashed. It’s not a problem. I will continue to drive forward. Now I want to sell off the marquee because it’s causing me too much stress.”