Booths Mini Chilli Bean Hotpots recipe
A really tasty, vegetarian alternative to a meaty favourite, full of protein – thanks to the mixed beans – and with the smoky heat of paprika and chilli.
Mini Chilli Bean Hotpots
Serves: 4 l Prep: 15 minutes l Cook: 30 minutes
1 Maris Piper potato, thinly sliced (approx. 175g)
A drizzle of olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 stick of celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
25g tomato purée
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 400g tin mixed beans
200ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Place the sliced potato into a bowl, cover with boiling water and allow to stand for about 10 minutes whilst you make the hotpot filling. This softens the potatoes so they don’t take as long to cook in the oven.
2. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan. Add the onion, celery and carrot, sauté over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomato purée, chilli powder and smoked paprika, cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, mixed beans and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Spoon into 4 mini oven proof dishes.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 180C (fan) / 200C / 400F / gas mark 6.
7. Drain the sliced potato and pat to dry with kitchen roll. Place into a small bowl, add one tablespoon of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Make sure the slices of potato are well covered in the oil.
8. Top each mini dish with sliced potato and bake in a pre-heated
oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe uses a tin of mixed beans. but you can use your favourite, try cannellini beans or butterbeans for a change. Or swap the sliced potato for sweet potato or celeriac.