Pair avoid jail after violent '˜pizza' attack in Wigan

Two women who carried out an unprovoked attack on a complete stranger in Wigan town centre as she ate a pizza have avoided jail.

Monday, 9th April 2018, 12:58 pm
Updated Monday, 9th April 2018, 1:06 pm
Lindsay Carr and Katy Pollitt captured on CCTV on the night of the attack

The attack on the innocent victim, Hayley Bibby, happened outside The Berkeley on Wallgate in the early hours of October 7.

Other news: Wigan thief had carrier bag on his headLindsay Carr, 29, from Horwich, and Katy Pollitt, 23, from Blackrod, appeared at Wigan Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday admitting to charges of assault by beating.

The court heard how Ms Bibby, who was 21 at the time, had bought a pizza from Godfather’s takeaway on King Street after being separated from her family during a night out.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prosecutor Katie Beattie told magistrates how CCTV had captured the lead up to the attack and the beating that she received.

As Ms Bibby walked past the group, Pollitt was seen to flick a cigarette at her but the unsuspecting woman did not notice as she was eating her takeaway at the time.

Ms Beattie said: “She ended up outside The Berkeley pub and two females and a male followed her. One of the girls knocked the pizza over.

“She then decided to get her phone out of her bag and the girl knocked the phone out of her hand.

“She was punched in the face and dragged to the floor. She received several blows to her head and her body.”

Luckily, Ms Bibby was able to get to her feet and make her way to King Street, where a member of door security took her in and called an ambulance.

“She had a two-inch cut to her head,” added Ms Beattie. “She’s ended up with a black eye.”

In an impact statement Ms Bibby said: “I have no idea why this happened to me. I don’t remember saying anything to provoke the attack. It’s affected my confidence.

“I don’t feel safe socialising in the Wigan area anymore.”

Magistrates were told how the attack was “completely unprovoked” on Ms Bibby who was just making her way home.

Ms Beattie described the CCTV footage, adding: “Ms Pollitt punches the victim in the face. Ms Carr steps towards the victim and pushes her towards the floor and she falls to the ground in a doorway.

“She’s pulled into the street by Ms Carr and Ms Pollitt walks towards her and kicks her in her body and head.”

Probation workers who liaised with the attackers told magistrates that the women were “disgusted” with their behaviour and that neither had any real recollection of the assault.

Carr, a mum-of-one, said to probation staff: “I’m a mum and I shouldn’t act like that.”

The court heard how her relationship had previously broken down and that she had drunk two bottles of wine before heading on the night out.

Pollitt also admitted to drinking two bottles of wine prior to going to Wigan town centre. Both women said that they did not know the victim and that it was an “unprovoked attack”.

Carr was sentenced to 200 hours of unpaid work and eight days of rehabilitation activity. She was ordered to pay compensation of £150 as well as £170 in costs and victim surcharge.

Her accomplice Pollitt was given a nine-month curfew which is to be waived for a week in May for a pre-booked holiday to Lanzarote. She will also be required to complete 15 days of rehabilitation activity and pay £200 compensation as well as the £170 in costs.