Smokers warned of dangers of discarded cigarettes following Wigan fire

Smokers are being warned about the dangers of discarded cigarettes following a fire in Wigan.

It comes after firefighters said a fire in the back garden of a house in Bell Lane, Orrell, was caused by a cigarette being "carelessly" discarded.

The fire caused damage to garden furniture and a neighbour's conservatory but was put out by the occupants before crews arrived.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Glyn McGann, watch manager at Wigan fire station, said: "Two fire engines from Wigan attended a property on Bell Lane in Orrell, as a fire had occured in the rear garden of a mid-terraced property.

Discarded cigarettes can be dangerousDiscarded cigarettes can be dangerous
Discarded cigarettes can be dangerous

"Following investigations it was ascertained that the homeowner had caused the fire due to a carelessly discarded cigarette.

"The fire has damaged garden furniture and the side of the next door neighbour's conservatory, causing substantial damage at a high price to pay.

"Nobody was injured but none of the people in the property were self-isolating."

He went on to warn people to put out cigarettes properly.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: "People need to extinguish and dispose of cigarettes properly if they smoke as it sets fire to things and is dangerous.

"It's common sense."

Related topics: