Chip pan fire thwarted by firefighters and householder

A householder has been praised by firefighters after a chip pan fire at a house in Wigan.

Sunday, 17th June 2018, 6:05 pm
Updated Tuesday, 19th June 2018, 6:08 pm
Firefighters were alerted after a chip pan fire developed

Firefighters were alerted after a blaze developed at a property in Sandway, just before 3.45pm today, at a house in Sandway, Beech Hill.

But crew manager Simon Connor said that the woman occupant, who rang 999 after becoming aware of the fire, did the right thing.

"She closed the kitchen door, preventing the fire from spreading to the rest of the house, then called us out," said Mr Connor.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The fire had started after she had started cooking then became distracted by a telephone call.

Damage was restricted to the kitchen, with firefighter able to use positive pressure ventilation fans to tackle lingering smoke.