Despite hope Wigan grandad never recovered

A well-loved Wigan grandad has died three years after suffering a huge brain haemorrhage which left him in a coma.

Friday, 21st September 2018, 2:46 pm
Updated Saturday, 22nd September 2018, 6:19 am
Colin with his beloved grandaughter Georgia
Colin with his beloved grandaughter Georgia

Colin Aspinall, 54, died at Carrington Court care home in Hindley following a long, drawn-out battle for life after he collapsed during an extra work shift in May 2015.

The lorry driver from Aspull was loading up his vehicle in Wales when he suddenly fell unconscious.

Thanks to a man known only as “Robbie”, he was kept alive by CPR and was rushed to Bangor hospital.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Colin, father to Stephanie, Kerry and James, suffered a bleed on the brain and his heart stopped beating for around 20 minutes - all of which caused him irreparable damage from which he never recovered

Despite his family being told he would only have a one per cent chance of surviving the night, Colin pulled through.

But sadly this was just the beginning of three years of grief for his children and wife, Georgina, as he was to never emerge from his coma.

Colin died on Wednesday, August 29.

His devastated loved-ones celebrated his life last week at a service near their family home in Aspull.

Stephanie Brown, Colin’s daughter, said: “We were so sad at the time because he never made any improvement.

“He was moved from Wigan hospital to Carrington Court in August 2015. I went to see him every week with the minister from my church who said we had an opportunity to go and talk to him, a chance we wouldn’t have had if he died in Bangor that night.

“My dad was deteriorating for quite a while before he died.

“He was getting infections quite regularly.

“It was awful seeing him like that. In a way it is a bit of relief because he had no quality of life.

“He wouldn’t have liked to be in the situation he was in.”

Grandad to four and a half-year-old Georgia and 11-month-old Ava, Colin was very close with his family.

“He always worked to provide for us,” said 26-year-old Stephanie.

“Georgia was only 16 months old when he collapsed but he absolutely loved her.

“I am so glad he got to meet her.

“We were very close, I used to love helping him in the garage, looking back they were some of the best times of my life.

“Dad was a lorry driver and had been his entire life. He loved his job. He worked seven days a week and was quite high up in the company when it happened - he really enjoyed it.”

“We always hoped he would make some recovery - so it’s still a shock that he’s actually gone.”

Although never a sports fan, Colin was an active and healthy man right up to the day of his collapse.

The family, who held a service at St Elizabeth’s Church earlier this month, are asking for anyone wishing to donate to the Headway brain injury charity - to do so on their behalf.

Headway played a major part in supporting Georgina and the family following his incident.

For more information on how to donate visit