Kitchen fire causes smoke damage at Wigan house

A Wigan house was left smoke-damaged by a kitchen fire crews have described as a near-miss.

Monday, 9th July 2018, 9:24 am
Updated Monday, 16th July 2018, 4:54 pm
Fire service
Fire service

The fire service was called to the address on Ratcliffe Street at around midnight on Sunday.

Other news: Fire crews battle suspicious grass blaze for hoursThey found the occupant had fallen asleep with a pan of food still on the hob.

Fortunately a neighbour smelled the smoke and raised the alarm.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters from Wigan station said black smoke was coming from the kitchen when they arrived at the scene.

The fire was still smouldering so they were able to quickly extinguish the flames and then use a large fan to draw all the smoke out of the property.

The crew also got the property's smoke alarm back into working order as the batteries had been taken out.

Firefighters were set to return to the area on Monday to carry out further home safety checks.

The incident lasted around half an hour.