Warning after tray left in oven catches fire

Firefighters are warning residents not to become distracted while cooking after a tray left in an oven sparked a kitchen fire.

Wednesday, 8th March 2017, 10:39 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:40 am
Fire service

Crews were called to the ground-floor flat in Atherton just after 5.20pm on Tuesday March 7.

The firefighters found the oven on fire and the kitchen badly-smoke logged and had to wear breathing apparatus to put the flames out.

The crews then used a large fan to clear all the smoke from the Mealhouse Court property.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) is now reminding people never to leave kitchen appliances or cookers on and unattended.

Crews from Hindley and Atherton fire stations attended and were there for around 40 minutes.

For more kitchen safety advice visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/fire_safety_advice/safety_in_kitchen/