Wigan flat fire started after man fell asleep cooking breakfast

Firefighters were called to a Wigan block of flats after a fire broke out when someone fell asleep whilst cooking.

Sunday, 30th September 2018, 2:56 pm
Updated Sunday, 30th September 2018, 3:57 pm
Firefighters were called to Boyswell House in Scholes

Wigan crews were called to Boyswell House in Scholes at around 7.30am this morning (Sunday) after a pan of food caught fire.

Watch manager Carl Gleaves said that neighbours were alerted to the blaze when the smoke alarm went off inside the property.

"This is just proof that working smoke alarms do work," he said. "Fortunately it woke the resident and the neighbours.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"It was breakfast he was cooking so it hadn't been on all night. It was very smoky inside the flat.

"We would like to remind people not to leave cooking food unattended and to make sure that they have working smoke alarms fitted.

Crews were in the property for around 35 minutes while they cleared the smoke.