Police shut down large New Year rave on Wigan industrial estate

Police have had to shut down a New Year rave after a large gathering in Wigan.

Friday, 1st January 2021, 2:16 pm

Three fines were issued and work is ongoing to identify the organiser following the incident.

Officers were called to the Empress Industrial Estate, Ince, to the large rave-type event.

When they got there, they discovered around 40 people attending the rave.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police shut down the rave

Party-goers dispersed and lighting, DJ equipment and heaters were seized.

While elsewhere in Wigan, on Queen Street, ten fines were handed out to revellers of a large party taking place in a flat.

In total, some 105 fixed penalty notices (FPNs) for Covid regulation breaches were issued during a busy night for police.

The fines were issued between 5pm on New Year's Eve and 7am today (New Year's Day), bringing the total issued by Greater Manchester Police since August to 2,320.

Elsewhere in Greater Manchester, ten fines were issued to the host and attendees of a large party on Ashlyn Grove, Fallowfield.

While on Castle Street in Manchester city centre, police attended to reports of a large fight at a party of around 30 people. The group dispersed when officers arrived and three fines were given out.

Another large house party also took place at a property on Halebank Avenue, Manchester, with officers handing out 12 FPNs,

In Stockport, a £1,000 fine was issued to a pub in Marple Bridge for continuing to serve customers despite Tier 4 restrictions not allowing them to.

Meanwhile on Greek Street, Stockport, 16 fines were issued to people attending a large party taking place in the basement of a property.

And in Bury, 10 fines were handed out at a large party at a property on Leaver Street, Radcliffe, while in Tameside two FPNs were given to organisers of a get together at a property on Short Avenue.

Assistant Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, Chris Sykes, said the behaviour was irresponsible and put lives at risk.

He said: "We're pleased that the vast majority of people followed the Government's request to remain indoors and celebrate within their household or support bubble.

"It wasn't the way any of us wanted to enter the New Year, but we're grateful for the public's support.

"2020 has been a difficult year for everyone across the region, including our hard-working officers and staff. I'd like to thank them for rising to the unprecedented challenges we have faced.

"Unfortunately there were a number of incidents last night that required their continuing professionalism.

"I'm sure the right-thinking majority of our residents will join me in condemning this irresponsible behaviour, which puts lives at risk.

He added: "I would urge people to remain strong during what will hopefully be the final few months of restrictions. Protect your loved ones, each other and our NHS by continuing to follow Government rules.

"If everyone does their part we can look forward to a brighter year ahead."

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by visiting https://www.wigantoday.net/subscriptions