Victim's kidnap ordeal terror

In a scene reminiscent of a gangster movie, a man was dragged into a car and subjected to a terrifying ordeal at the hands of two men and a woman.

Tuesday, 14th March 2017, 8:16 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:52 am
Twist Lane where the kidnapping took place

Jailing the main perpetrator a judge said victim James Alty “would have been terrified. He did not know what was going to happen to him.”

“It is like a gangster film, a car stops, the door opens and you are bundled into the car,” said Judge Steven Everett.

Powerfully built 27-year-old Robert Sheppard who had dragged the victim into the Ford Focus, was jailed for two years but his accomplices, Kyle Turton, and Alexandra Oldfield-Baxter, both had their jail terms suspended.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Trevor Parry-Jones, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court that the incident happened on August 17 last year when Mr Alty was confronted by Sheppard in Twist Lane, Leigh and told, “you are coming with me.”

The court heard that the victim was told to sort out a matter with Sheppard’s brother Shaun or they would not let him go. Mr Alty, who already suffered from anxiety, was scared and intimidated and feared a beating.

Despite his struggles he was dragged into the car, driven by Turton, who was with his partner, Oldfield-Baxter, who had spotted the victim on the street and said, “go and get him.”

He was eventually released about five minutes later near an Asda store. The police, alerted by witnesses, went a house in Keats Close, Leigh and found the still warm Focus outside and the three defendants were arrested.

Sheppard, of Fell Street, Leigh, Turton, 23, of Cameron Street, Leigh, and his girlfriend Oldfield-Baxter, 22, also of Cameron Street, all pleaded guilty to kidnapping.

Turton, who had been driving the car, was sentenced to 15 months imprisonment suspended for two years and ordered to carry out 200 hours unpaid work and 20 days rehabilitation activity.

Oldfield-Baxter received eight months suspended for two years with 150 hours unpaid work and 20 days rehabilitation activities.