Warning after suspected gas leak

Firefighters have issued a carbon monoxide warning after they were called to a suspected gas leak.

Monday, 13th June 2016, 8:35 am
Updated Monday, 13th June 2016, 12:17 pm
Warning after crew attend suspected gas leak

A crew from Wigan fire station were called to a house on Cypress Road at around 9.45pm last night, Sunday, after the residents began to feel unwell and suspected a boiler may be leaking carbon monoxide.

A National Grid engineer and a specialist hazardous materials officer from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) also attended but did not find a gas leak.

But the crew are warning residents to get their gas appliances checked by a qualified engineer and to call the National Grid emergency line if they suspect a leak.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Crew manager Mark McCourt said: “The residents called us because they felt lightheaded and unwell which are some of the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Because it is colourless and odourless, if you have any sort of gas appliance then it needs to be regularly checked by a qualified engineer and we would encourage people to have a carbon monoxide detector.

“If there is something wrong, call a gas engineer to check the appliance or if you suspect a gas leak call the National Grid emergency number.

“We can come as well and that is because carbon monoxide is very flammable.

“We did not detect any gas on this occasion but we did ventilate the property which would have got rid of any.

“The National Grid engineer turned off the gas to be on the safe side while checks were carried out.”

The crew were on the scene for just over an hour. To report a gas leak, call the National Grid emergency number 0800 111999.