Wigan home wrecked by smoke after unattended battery on charge explodes

Firefighters have issued a warning to residents against leaving batteries on charge while they are out after one blew up and wrecked a Wigan home.

Wednesday, 24th November 2021, 5:23 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th November 2021, 10:44 am

The lithium pack for a wheelchair had been left unattended for two hours while the occupants of the address in Kirkwood Close, Aspull, were out.

When the father of two came home at about 3.50pm on Wednesday (November 24) he walked in to a house full of thick smoke.

Read More

Read More
Could this be aliens looking down on a Wigan man from their UFO?

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Two firefighters wearing breathing gear were needed to ventilate the smoke-logged house

Two firefighters from Wigan station wore breathing apparatus to ventilate the home, the blaze itself having burnt itself out on the kitchen work surface.

Watch manager Shaun Aspey said that there were thick carbon deposits in every room and the house would be very difficult to clean up.

The crew also had to cut off the home's electricity supply for safety reasons and an electrician would have to be called out to reinstate the supply after running checks.

Watch manager Aspey said: "Sadly this is a cautionary tale not to leave batteries charging while you are out of the house.

"The lithium pack exploded at some point while the gentleman was out and the smoke got everywhere.

"It may be inconvenient not to leave something on charge while unattended but, unfortunately, the consequences of doing so can be far worse."

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers.