REPORT: Oxford United 2 Wigan Athletic 1

Callum Lang's second goal in five days wasn't enough to secure another away win for Wigan Athletic, with Oxford United forcing two goals inside the last 20 minutes to steal the points.
Callum Lang celebrates opening the scoringCallum Lang celebrates opening the scoring
Callum Lang celebrates opening the scoring

After a bizarre 50-minute delay during half-time for a floodlight fire, Latics went ahead just before the hour mark through the impressive Lang.

But that was his last involvement as he limped off injured and, after great blocks from Curtis Tilt and Chris Merrie kept Latics in front, late goals from Sam Winnall and Elliott Moore ensured the visitors went home with nothing.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Knowing they could climb out of the bottom four for the first time in months by avoiding defeat, Latics picked up where they left off at Northampton in midweek and settled down quickly.

A couple of long throws from new-boy George Johnston - a tactic not seen before this season - caused early concern in the home defence, with the strong wind adding to the difficulty factor.

The elements also played their part at the other end, with a Alex Gorrin strike from distance catching the wind and requiring a good save from Jamie Jones to keep it out.

Oxford were claiming a penalty midway through the first half when Brandon Barker took a tumble in the box, but there looked no contact whatsoever from Thelo Aasgaard and referee Brett Huxtable was unimpressed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After weathering the brief storm, Latics ended the half well, with some decent possession inside the Oxford half.

Luke Robinson sent an ambitious half-volley from 30 yards out over the bar, before the Scotland Under-19 left-back sent over a dangerous cross from out wide.

Unfortunately for Latics, centre-back Scott Wootton couldn't get a better contact, and the ball flashed wide of the post.

That was it for the first half, but there was plenty more drama to be had before the action resumed, thanks to a floodlight fire that resulted in a 50-minute delay to proceedings.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

When the players did return, Oxford threatened first with Rob Atkinson's shot requiring a fine save from Jones.

But Latics continued to look dangerous on the break, and they went ahead 12 minutes after the restart.

And after firing the winner at Northampton five days earlier, again it was Lang who found the mark, rolling his marker before firing home with clinical precision from 15 yards.

Latics needed a fantastic block from Tilt to stay in front, after Winnall wriggled free and appeared to have a one-on-one shooting chance.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The visitors were forced into a change when Lang collided with the Oxford goalkeeper after his goal as he hunted a second goal, with Joe Dodoo coming on for his second appearance.

Oxford were hammering on the door at this point, and the equaliser eventually arrived with 18 minutes to go, with Winnall heading home powerfully at the far post, leaving Jones with no chance.

Only a superb tip over from Jones, to deny Mark Sykes, kept Latics on level terms, with Merrie then needed to pull off a superb block to deny Josh Ruffels.

Dan Gardiner replaced Aasgaard with 12 minutes to go as Latics tried to halt the one-way traffic, but the defence cracked again five minutes later.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Latics defence couldn't clear the ball, and Oxford centre-back Moore stabbed home from close range.

Get 20% off our sports subscription package and stay up to date with all the latest Wigan Athletic news with a year’s subscription to WiganToday for less than 9p a day. Use promo code TRANSFER20