Wigan Athletic 1 Manchester City 0

Will Grigg assumed the Ben Watson role to fire Wigan Athletic's latest incredible winning goal against Manchester City in the FA Cup against all the odds.
Will Grigg and Max Power celebrate the winning goalWill Grigg and Max Power celebrate the winning goal
Will Grigg and Max Power celebrate the winning goal

If Wigan’s victory in the 2013 final at Wembley showpiece - and their repeat 12 months later as a Championship side in the quarter-finals at the Etihad - shocked the football world, this one well and truly pushing the bounds of disbelief to breaking point.

Paul Cook’s men - from the third tier - taking on arguably the finest footballing side on the planet, and somehow taking the spoils.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Only the second domestic team, after Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool, to beat Pep Guardiola’s men this term.

Ending their hopes of an unprecedented quadruple.

Even for Latics, fairytale stuff.

Right from the off, the home side took the game to a star-studded City side almost at full strength, and gave as good as they got for the opening 45 minutes.

Then, in the dying seconds of the first hale, City defender Fabian Delph received a straight red card for an over-zealous challenge on Max Power.

And the belief levels in the stadium were cranked up a notch.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Even though City dominated the second period with 10 men, they failed to translate that into meaningful efforts on goal.

And once again there was to be a late sting in the tale, when Callum Elder’s through ball was allowed by Kyle Walker to find Grigg, who held off his marker before firing into the bottom corner.

The last 10 minutes - and four added minutes, which turned into almost double that - felt like an absolute eternity.

But the roar that followed Anthony Taylor’s final whistle almost took the roof off the DW Stadium.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After seeing off Bournemouth, West Ham and now City from the top flight, Latics will host Southampton in next month’s quarter-finals - 90 minutes from another Wembley semi-final.

And no-one on the south coast will be taking anything for granted against the undisputed cup kings of the modern era.

Rght from the off, aided by some rare defensive uncertainty by City, Latics took the game to their opponents.

Nathan Byrne’s cross was allowed to reach Gary Roberts at the far post, but goalkeeper Claudio Bravo out in a flash to smother.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Grigg then showed confidence to take on England centre-back John Stones through the left channel, only for his shot to find the side netting, with most of the East Stand thinking it was in.

Lovely stuff from Latics again on the counter, involving Grigg, Roberts and Nick Powell, saw the former Manchester United man having a shot blocked on the edge of the area, with Roberts screaming for the ball in acres of space outside him.

That was Powell’s last involvement before he limped off, to be replaced by new-boy Jay Fulton, which meant Power moving further down the pitch to support the attack.

City created and then squandered a great chance to open the scoring when a deep cross from Danilo was headed back by Stones into the path of Fernandinho, who blazed miles over from 10 yards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Fernandinho, Delph and Danilo then saw shots deflected wide of the target, before the flashpoint just before the midway point saw Delph red-carded - and both sets of players, and management, having to be separated on the near touchline.

England right-back Walker took over from Leroy Sane for the second half, and the visitors managed to somehow mask their numerical disadvantage by dominating possession - at one stage, enjoying an incredible 82 per cent of the ball.

But they were being kept at arm’s length by a determined defence with Byrne, Chey Dunkley, Dan Burn and Elder all putting their bodies on the line to repel City danger.

Michael Jacobs took over from Roberts to give Latics fresh legs up top, with City bringing on the small matter of Kevin de Bruyne for David Silva.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

De Bruyne, watched by his Belgium national boss Roberto Martinez - who was part of the BBC studio team - acted like a magnet, attracting the ball constantly.

From one opening, he played in Sergio Aguero, whose shot was blocked at the second attempt.

The rebound made its way out to Ferdandinho, whose effort was also thwarted by a Latics leg, with Danilo then skipping to the byline only to fire the ball across the six-yard box - and out for a throw-in.

Ryan Colclough took over from Gavin Massey with 13 minutes to go to give Latics more energy for the final push.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But before he could touch the ball, Latics were in front thanks to the predatory instincts of Grigg.

Predictably City bossed the remainder of the game, but they couldn’t force Walton into a meaningful save.

And Latics hung on to write another extraordinary chapter in an increasingly unbelievable FA Cup story.