Wigan Athletic 2 Norwich City 2

Omar BogleOmar Bogle
Omar Bogle
Omar Bogle announced his arrival at the DW Stadium in fine style with his first two goals for Wigan Athletic, but it was only enough for a point after a pulsating 2-2 draw against Norwich City.

The £1million man - a deadline-day arrival from Grimsby - marked his full debut with a brilliant brace to put Latics within touching distance of a desperately-needed three points.

But Norwich, who had led 1-0 at the break thanks to Nelson Oliveira’s looping header, levelled in the final quarter through Mitchell Dijks.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And although both sides had good chances late on to pinch a dramatic winner, it ended all square.

It was a return to Wigan to forget for Yanic Wildschut, who was booed by the home fans from the moment his name was read out before the game, to his 70th-minute substitution following a nightmare display.

And the irony of Wildschut’s unwitting involvement in Wigan’s success-story of the night will not have been lost on anyone of a blue-and-white persuasion.

Boss Warren Joyce admitted last week that only Bogle of the eight deadline-day signings came in as a direct result of the sale of the Dutchman to Norwich, with the others having been funded by the offloading of the likes of Jordi Gomez, Craig Davies and Adam Le Fondre.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Having endured a frustrating game with the ball at his feet, Wildschut’s desperation to impress saw him concede the free-kick on the edge of the Norwich box that saw Bogle edge Latics ahead for the first time.

Thankfully his team-mates got him out of jail to claim a point.

Bogle had been given a massive boost pre-match by being preferred to Will Grigg in attack, with James Weir also drafted in for his first start at the expense of David Perkins.

And the striker came close to justifying that selection with a quarter of an hour, only for goalkeeper John Ruddy to make a fine diving save.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The visitors had arrived on the back of three wins on the bounce, and they came within a whisker of taking the lead with their first effort on goal.

Jonny Howson’s thunderbolt from 30 yards deserved a goal, but the shot smacked off the bar with Haugaard well-beaten.

Russell Martin nodded home the rebound but, before he could begin his celebrations, the flag was up on the near side.

Martin’s centre-back partner Timm Klose was next to try his luck, only for Latics skipper Stephen Warnock to pull off a supreme block at full stretch.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But Wigan’s luck ran out before the interval, when Pritchard’s free-kick was nodded home into the top corner by Oliveira.

The response was immediate, with Grigg sent on at the break for Weir, which meant Bogle tucking in just behind the Northern Ireland international.

Grigg was initially unlucky to see a cross-shot deflected just over the top of Ruddy’s goal, with Bogle coming close to getting his head to the resultant corner.

Bogle wasn’t to be denied, though, and he found the mark with a virtual carbon-copy chance moments later, from another fine delivery from Michael Jacobs.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The same combination were involved in the goal that put Latics ahead at the three-quarter mark, when Jacobs was tripped by Wildschut on the edge of the area for a stonewall free-kick.

Bogle stepped up and curled a beauty of a free-kick over the wall and past Ruddy into the far corner of the net to put Latics ahead for the first time.

That was Wildschut’s last involvement, and the home fans certainly made the most of his substitution, which produced the third biggest cheer of the night.

City had the last laugh, though, by forcing an equaliser with 17 minutes to go.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Pritchard’s corner from the left wing wasn’t dealt with by Haugaard, allowing Dijks to head home right in front of the 677 away fans in the North Stand.

Haugaard made partial amends in a frantic final 15 minutes when he pulled off a superb save to deny substitute Josh Murphy.

Latics, too, had another chance to win in, but Sam Morsy saw one shot blocked by Youssouf Mulumbu before sending another inches over the top.