Injury blow for Wigan Warriors prop Ethan Havard
Adrian Lam fears Ethan Havard may not play again this season.
The young prop has an ankle injury which is threatening to rule him out for between six and 12 weeks.
Wigan's medical staff are seeking clarification over the recovery time frame.
But with just six matches to go before the semi-finals, the 19-year-old may struggle to get back on the pitch this season.
And Lam said: "We've got to get clarification on what the scan says. He's got a high ankle strain, the syndesmosis, so we're looking at between six and 12 weeks.
"The best case scenario is he's back but it's a difficult one because he's off his legs that whole time, and it's hard to maintain your fitness when you can't run.
"It isn't looking good for Enthan or us, he's been one of our best."
Havard, who was handed his Wigan debut by Lam last year, has been making impressive progress and the club moved swiftly to extend his contract amid interest from the NRL.
Lam said: "He's been exception, a shining light. He's only 19, he played 80 minutes in a game a few weeks ago and I'm really proud of his progression - he's the future here.
"I'm heartbroken and disappointed he's got this injury and hopefully we get some different news in a week or so, regarding the extent of the time out."
Lam may welcome Tony Clubb back into the fold for Thursday's match against Catalans - the prop hasn't played since the restart because of a neck injury - but says Ben Flower and George Burgess will be another week or two away from being available for selection.
Liam Byrne is also sidelined until later this month.
Special offer: Get 15% off our digital sports subscription - read unlimited Wigan Athletic and Wigan Warriors stories for less than 60p a week! Click here