Apology given over pet cat's ashes mistake

A pet owner has been left devastated after a mix-up over her cat's ashes.
Three-year-old Lily Oliva-Campbell with Twinkle StarThree-year-old Lily Oliva-Campbell with Twinkle Star
Three-year-old Lily Oliva-Campbell with Twinkle Star

Jenny Oliva and her “heartbroken” 11-year-old daughter Katie wanted to have Twinkle Star’s body cremated so they could take her ashes back home.

But an error meant that after the cat was cremated, the ashes were not returned to Miss Oliva.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dr Austin Kirwan, practice principal at Barn Lodge Veterinary Hospital in Ormskirk, has apologised.

Miss Oliva found Twinkle Star collapsed in the garage late on Bank Holiday Monday, May 30.

She phoned her usual veterinary practice and was transferred to an out-of-hours service in Manchester.

But Miss Oliva wanted to go somewhere closer, so she found Barn Lodge online and took Twinkle Star there.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

She was told that Twinkle Star was dying and she was put to sleep.

Miss Oliva, who has four children aged three to 14, said: “They asked what I wanted to do with the body.

“I had my 11-year-old daughter with me and she was heartbroken because it was quite sudden. She wanted to have her cremated and bring her home.

“I paid for that service. I was told that in a week they would ring me and we could pick her up. The phone call never came.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Instead, Miss Oliva, 34, phoned the practice herself to find out where the ashes were.

Miss Oliva said: “I wanted to take her home so we could have closure on her unexpected death.”

Dr Kirwan told the Evening Post that Twinkle Star was taken to a pet crematorium in Leyland.

But an error meant her ashes were not given to Miss Oliva, of Longbrook, Shevington, after the body was cremated.

The veterinary hospital has apologised to Miss Oliva and she has been given a full refund.

Related topics: