Brave Jess speaks about cancer scare

A Wigan children's support worker who was told she had cancer has spoken of her relief that the tumour was in fact a burst cyst

Wednesday, 5th July 2017, 10:56 am
Updated Tuesday, 18th July 2017, 8:34 am
Jess Scargill (centre) with Lauren Jaynes and Sam Cooper at a fund-raiser

Jess Scargill, who works at Next Stage children’s home in the borough, faced a worrying few months after she was diagnosed with stage three ovarian cancer.

Tests two months later then suggested the tumour was malignant.

The 21-year-old said: “I noticed something was wrong in February and went to the doctor. I was diagnosed with malignant ovarian cancer at the end of April. I had months of worry and I had surgery to remove the tumour.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“But a biopsy last week shows it is non-malignant, meaning it’s not cancerous. It was a cyst that had burst. I had a 90 per cent chance of the tumour being cancerous, but I miraculously fell into the 10 per cent bracket, where it was not.

“It is a huge relief - I can’t believe it. I was not expecting that good news. I still have to have scans to make sure everything is okay. The staff at Royal Preston Hospital have been fantastic from day one.”

Following her diagnosis, Jess, who lives in Chorley, shaved her head in aid of Macmillan and Teenage Cancer Trust.

The Brave the Shave was part of a fund-raising night at The Golden Lion in Higher Wheelton, Chorley, which raised more than £5,200. Jess’s 23-year-old sister Gabriella also completed Cancer Research UK’s (CRUK) Pretty Muddy challenge, raising a further £1,300 for CRUK.

Jess added: “I wanted to raise money on behalf of my family, more than for me. I was okay with my diagnosis, but my family was hit the hardest. It put them under so much stress and that is what people have to deal with. I just wanted to help raise funds for the charities which support families.

“We hoped to raise £55, but we actually raised £5,232 which is absolutely unreal. It is great how generous people are and how everyone comes together.”

During the fund-raiser night, there was music by The Jake Heaton Band and other local artists. Landlord Darren Cooper said: “This was all about raising awareness and being able to help people who may not be able to afford care. This money will go a long way to helping people.”