Firefighters' warning after cigarette sparks fire at home

Wigan firefighters have urged smokers to take care after a cigarette ignited a fire inside a home.

Friday, 26th March 2021, 8:38 am
Updated Friday, 26th March 2021, 8:54 am

Two crews from Wigan and one from Hindley were called to Bolney Street in Aspull, around 9pm yesterday (March 25).

On arrival, they found a fire had been started in a ground floor utility room, and established that the cause of the blaze was a lit cigarette coming into contact with a sofa.

Read More

Read More
Wigan pays silent tribute to Covid victim paramedic on his final journey

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters' warning after cigarette sparks fire at home

Three occupants had safely evacuated the address before firefighters arrived. Smoke damage was caused to the kitchen and utility room, and minor smoke damage also affected the rest of the property.

Firefighters have used the opportunity to urge Wiganers to regularly check their smoke alarms, as well as smoking outdoors or making sure ashtrays are properly used.

Crews spent around two hours at the scene.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers.