Five escape building after blaze breaks out in block of flats in Wigan area

Five people were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at a block of flats in the Wigan area in the early hours of today (Saturday).
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

A total of four fire engines were sent to the ground-floor property in Withington Lane, Aspull, at around 12.30am today.

The fire broke out in the hallway and the cause is believed to have been accidental. There was no-one in the flat at the time and the alarm was raised by smoke alarms.

Read More
Tributes paid to Wigan borough dad-of-five Jonathan Hogg after being mauled to d...
Generic Fire engineGeneric Fire engine
Generic Fire engine
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

However five people above the flat which was on fire suffered minor smoke inhalation while leaving the building and were taken to hospital.

Wigan fire station watch manager Mike Fairhurst said firefighters were at the scene for around two hours to deal with the fire and stop it spreading to any other flats in the building.

"The fire damage was confined to the hallway, with smoke damage to the rest of the flat," he said.

Related topics: