Riddle of bakery break-ins

Four shops in the one Wigan bakery chain were all burgled in the same night.
Police appealPolice appeal
Police appeal

Galloways branches in Aspull, Standish, Kitt Green and Haydock suffered break-ins during the early hours of Friday morning in which money was taken from one.

Two other businesses in the same Aspull parade of shops appear to have been raided at the same time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Greater Manchester and Merseyside police would not confirm a definite link between the attacks at this early stage but said they certainly were not ruling one out.

Officers were first called to the row of shops on Moorside, Aspull, shortly after 2.30am after intruders forced their way into the bakery and tried, unsuccessfully, to steal a safe.

At 4.50am officers were called to Galloways’ branch in City Road, Kitt Green, where the door had been forced open but it was not clear if anything had been taken.

Over in Merseyside bobbies attended the Galloways in Church Road, Haydock, after a break-in was discovered at 6.50am. The premises had been searched and cash taken.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And a further investigation was launched when staff discovered a burglary at the Galloways in Preston Road, Standish, at 7.25am. Again it was not immediately clear if anything had been snatched.

Meanwhile two more burglaries had been discovered on the Moorside parade: one, at 7.55am is believed to be the laundrette from which a number of items were stolen including cash. Then just 20 minutes the ransacking and theft of cash was discovered at the nearby Truly Scrumptious cafe-shop.

No descriptions of intruders or vehicles have so far been forthcoming. But police have asked any witnesses to contact them on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

It’s not the first time a case of pastry-related pilfering has been uncovered in Wigan.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In 2008, a pie shop delivery driver was hailed before courts after he was caught with his fingers in the till.

The rogue worker pocketed £257 was told he had narrowly avoided being sent to prison.

He was suspended from his job. When interviewed by police he admitted receiving the cash but claimed he had lost it.

When he subsequently appeared before JPs he pleaded guilty to theft and false accounting.