Shaun Maloney cites two things he 'loved' during Wigan Athletic's incredible late show against Wycombe

Shaun Maloney pinpointed two aspects of Wigan Athletic's incredible victory over Wycombe at the DW - which came thanks to a Charlie Hughes wondergoal with 109 minutes on the clock.
Shaun Maloney thanks the fans after Latics' dramatic victory over WycombeShaun Maloney thanks the fans after Latics' dramatic victory over Wycombe
Shaun Maloney thanks the fans after Latics' dramatic victory over Wycombe

It had looked as though honours would end even with neither side doing anywhere near enough to win a game desperately short on excitement and entertainment.

Read More
REPORT: Wigan Athletic 1 Wycombe Wanderers 0: King Charlie is the toast of the D...

That was before substitute Callum McManaman chopped back on the right-hand side, and sent over a teasing cross that was lashed into the corner of the Wycombe net by Hughes on the volley.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Enough to ensure a second 1-0 victory for Latics in the space of three days - and take them into the top half of the table - and 11th spot - for the first time all season.

"It was a strange one...a prolonged one because of the was probably tough to watch, because it was tough to play in conditions that weren't easy," said Maloney.

"It was a really difficult game, but to finally break them down and get that winner, the players are delighted.

"It felt like another big moment for us, and it's one of those moments where you just have to enjoy it - and we did.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"Normally I don't show too much emotion after goals, and I don't even think I did after this one.

"But I absolutely loved two aspects of the goal...the first was Callum McManaman's one-v-one.

"In the final third, I thought we were good tonight until we got into that part of the pitch, and we were a bit off it.

"But then you get a moment from Callum, who has that one-v-one talent that you just can't coach.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"I loved what he did, and then obviously Charlie's finish...again, you just can't coach that kind of ability.

"I'm well chuffed for him, and I actually thought in the whole second half he was brilliant."

The half-overhead kick volley from Hughes was pretty much the only piece of quality in an otherwise dour encounter at the DW, noteworthy almost for a near-20 minute delay following an injury to the referee.

Hughes had earlier tried his luck from his own half, and that was about it for the first half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The incident the game perhaps needed to spark into life arrived 10 minutes after the restart when referee Adam Herczeg was caught in a midfield sandwich including Stephen Humphrys.

And after a delay lasting the best part of 20 minutes - while a qualified whistler was found in the crowd - he was replaced in the middle by fourth official Steven Rushton.

Wycombe thought they'd scored when Kieran Sadlier got a touch on to Luke Leahy's shot, which massively deceived Sam Tickle - only for the offside flag to go up.

Hughes then released Steven Sessegnon with a sensational defence-splitting pass, only for the shot to be pulled wide of the post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wycombe almost nicked it when Richard Kone's shot needed a brilliant save from Tickle, with the rebound going behind off the attacker.

However, Maloney’s men – with five substitutes on the field - had one last attack in them, resulting in Hughes volleying into the corner of the net, to the delight of all-but the 155 away fans in the stadium.

Related topics: