Wigan Athletic boss reacts to FA Cup exit to Luton

Kolo Toure admitted to being 'gutted' for his Wigan Athletic players after they were dumped out of the FA Cup in stoppage-time against Luton.

Thelo Aasgaard had put Latics ahead with a superb volley seconds after the restart.

Read More
REPORT: Wigan Athletic 1 Luton Town 2
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But Cauley Woodrow levelled within four minutes, and Latics were indebted to James McClean for clearing a Harry Cornick shot off the line.

Latics were denied a penalty in the second half for this challenge on Tom Naylor

With extra-time looming - and 97 minutes on the clock - it was Luton who pinched it when Elijah Adabayo slotted past Ben Amos from close range.

Leaving Toure to reflect on an eighth match in charge without a win, but satisfied with the shift his side had put in.

"I'm gutted for the boys, they gave everything," he said.

"They worked hard from the first minute to the 98th minute, but unfortunately in these moments, a lack of concentration has cost us.

"It's painful, but we need to correct those moments within the game.

"For everything they've given, though, I feel gutted.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"They deserved more than what they got, but it's the little details that make a big difference.

"I think Luton played well, to be honest, they put us under pressure, and created a few chances.

"We created some chances, and it was in the balance.

"I felt like we looked really strong and it could have gone either way.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"But it went to Luton, and that's part of the game."

Latics also saw a strong penalty shout in the second half turned down, after Tom Naylor appeared to be felled in the box.

"That's part of the game,. like I said, and these things happen in the game," added the Latics boss.

"Sometimes they go for you, sometimes they go against you - last week it was us that scored in stoppage-time (at Cardiff).

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"All you can do is keep your head down and keep working hard, and focus on the next game, which is against the same team."

After a dismal first period, where precious little happened, the game sprang to life in the first five minutes of the second period.

Within 60 seconds of the restart, Aasgaard sent a stunning volley into the top corner of the Luton net from the edge of the area.

However, only four minutes later, Woodrow levelled the scores at the second attempt, after Amos had parried away his first effort.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Luton then looked the more likely to win it before extra-time, with McClean clearing off the line from Cornick, who thought he’d put Luton ahead.

Aasgaard sent another volley down the throat of Luton goalkeeper Ethan Horvath, with Naylor appearing to be felled in the area late on, only for referee Matthew Donohue to wave play on.

Jack Whatmough was in the thick of it in both boxes, throwing himself in the way of a goalbound Luton shot, before getting his head to a Max Power cross at the other end, only for the defence to scramble the ball away.

But there was to be a final twist in the tale, in the seven added minutes, when a deep cross from the Luton left wasn’t dealt with, and Adebayo slotted past Amos from close range.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Latics are now free to fully focus on retaining their Championship status, with Luton returning to the DW in the league on Saturday.