Wigan Athletic chief reacts to Norwich City stalemate

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Wigan Athletic boss Shaun Maloney admitted his side left two points out on the field after failing to underline their dominance over Norwich City with the goals to show for it.

Latics dominated the first half from start to finish at the DW Stadium, but found City goalkeeper Angus Gunn in unbeatable mood.

Read More
REPORT: Wigan Athletic 0 Norwich City 0

Twice the custodian made brilliant saves to deny Callum Lang, and another to repel Will Keane, who also volleyed over while James McClean fired wide when well placed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
Shaun Maloney was frustrated with Latics' draw against NorwichShaun Maloney was frustrated with Latics' draw against Norwich
Shaun Maloney was frustrated with Latics' draw against Norwich

The second period was a largely forgettable affair, with neither side able to fashion a chance on target, leaving Maloney to reflect on what might have been.

When asked whether a draw was a fair result, Maloney replied: "Probably not.

"Although we had to defend more in the second half, we didn't give up many opportunities.

"In the first half, we were very good, and the only disappointing thing was not going in two or three goals up.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"And they were great opportunities as well, I really did think we did enough to win that game in the first half.

"We showed another side of ourselves in the second half when we had to defend a bit more.

"So it's mixed feelings looking back.

"I was really, really pleased with the players, they've been excellent since I came in.

"You could see in the last 10 minutes the team was getting very tired, we were dropping deeper and deeper.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"But our goalkeeper didn't have a lot to do, and that's credit to the defence and the two lads in midfield who worked incredibly hard.

"The only difference between a good performance and a very good performance was in that final third.

"We have to be a bit more clinical with the chances we're creating.

"Overall it's been a positive start, but that's all it is, and we go again on Monday."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Three times Latics could have opened the scoring inside the opening 15 minutes - and three times they couldn't put the ball away.

Lang and Keane – both restored to the starting XI – were denied by fine saves from Gunn after getting themselves clean through.

Then McClean fired into the side-netting from a decent position.

Josh Sargent missed the target with Norwich's first effort at goal, before Latics suffered a huge blow when Jack Whatmough limped off through injury.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

That meant Steven Caulker coming on in his place, and Latics remained on top, with Lang forcing another fine save from Gunn, and Keane unable to convert a difficult rebound.

Gunn saved again from Lang right on half-time, with the visitors delighted to go in on level terms.

Grant Hanley headed wide from a Norwich corner shortly after the restart, but that was about it in terms of goalmouth action as the game gradually petered out.

However, the standing ovation given to the Latics players at the end showed how much the fanbase thought of their efforts.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And although Huddersfield and Blackpool both leapfrogged Latics in the table, Maloney’s men remain only two points from safety.

They also made it three clean sheets out of four matches since the new manager came in, with Bristol City the only side to find a way through.