Wigan Athletic dealt another injury blow during international schedule

Wigan Athletic face nervy waits on duo Sam Tickle and Liam Morrison following their respective international duties.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

20-year-old Morrison joins goalkeeper Tickle to have sustained an injury while away with Scotland Under-21s and England Under-21s respectively, with the Latics No.1 having been ruled out of international fixtures against Serbia and Northern Ireland.

Read More
Ex-Wigan Athletic boss Leam Richardson linked with vacant Championship job

Tickle, 21, was recalled to the international squad for the 2025 European qualifiers, having been called up for the first time earlier this season, missing out on selection.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But England reported that the youngster had returned to Shaun Maloney’s squad for further assessment on an injury picked up, with Norwich City forward Jonathan Rowe also returning to his respective club.

Scotland also confirmed that loanee defender Morrison had been forced out of action through injury, having featured in the 2-1 victory over Malta last month.

He was a notable absentee in the more recent 2-0 win over Belgium in Roeselare.

Hungary are the next opponents for Scot Gemmill's Scotland Under-21s.

Liam Morrison of Wigan AthleticLiam Morrison of Wigan Athletic
Liam Morrison of Wigan Athletic
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Having made his international debut for England’s Elite League squad on Thursday night against Italy, Charlie Hughes was an unused substitute in Monday’s dramatic 3-2 win over Germany.

Team-mate Martial Godo started and played an influential role in the triumph.

Both Jordan Jones and Josh Magennis were unused subs as Northern Ireland finished off their UEFA Euro 2024 qualification campaign with a 2-0 win against Denmark.

33-year-old Magennis previously came on at the hour mark against Finland, falling to a 4-0 defeat.

Thelo Aasgaard, who was called up by Norway U21s ahead of the international break, was forced to withdraw after an injury sustained in the Emirates FA Cup victory at Exeter City.