Trio injured in victory against Leigh

Joe Burgess is helped off the pitchJoe Burgess is helped off the pitch
Joe Burgess is helped off the pitch
Wigan stretched their winning start to the season with a 20-0 win against Leigh - but it came at a cost with a trio of players injured.

Shaun Wane admitted winger Joe Burgess and Lewis Tierney - as well as prop Ryan Sutton - are doubts for Thursday’s Grand Final rematch at Warrington.

All three were taken to hospital, with Burgess and Tierney suffering knee injuries in the opening half and Sutton later leaving the pitch with an eye injury from a clash of heads.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I’m very happy with the win, because we had a fair bit of disruption - I think Joel Tomkins played three or four positions and played well,” said Wane, who saw his side lead 6-0 at half-time.

“I can’t see the (injured trio) playing on Thursday. They will get scans. They’ve all gone to hospital, we’ll know more tomorrow.”

Asked if he was worried if any of the injuries were long-term, Wane said: “If they are, I’m not bothered. They’re good players, but Tom Davies is excited, (Liam) Marshall will get another chance... it’s why we all train together.”

Anthony Gelling finished the game with two tries, both from George Williams’ kicks, with the England halfback adding a neat solo effort early in the second-half. Morgan Escare kicked four goals from five attempts and again impressed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Even though we’ve beaten Salford and Widnes, they scored too many points for our liking (16 and 26 respectively), so we wanted to concentrate on defence,” said Wane. “Leigh are a good team, they’ll beat sides this season, so it makes it sweeter to get this win.

“The conditions helped us and they killed the game a little bit. But I want to pay respect to Leigh, I like the way they play, they’re well coached.”

Leigh coach Neil Jukes said: “Fair play to Wigan, they defended well, but we didn’t throw enough at them.

“We’ll not win many games with ‘nil’. It’s not the end of the world, but I’m disappointed we didn’t show ourselves in better light than we did.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Jukes refused to use referee Robert Hicks as an excuse, but he thought there was “massively” a case for Gelling to be sin-binned for kicking a second ball into play, which held up proceedings.

Meanwhile, Ian Lenagan used his official programme notes to hit out at the ‘false news’ of their controversial stadium switch to Widnes.

He wrote: “The events of last week have been widely publicised - generally inaccurately - and I would ask that Wigan fans have faith in the management at the club rather than be distracted by the ‘false news’ circulated.”

He said he would not be commenting further as the RFL is investigating the club over a potential breach of operational rules for initially postponing the game with 24 hours’ notice.

Related topics: